Wednesday, September 8, 2010

almost

 So this girl starts preschool tomorrow. 
Maybe it's me, but wasn't she just doing this?
(I can't even look at that picture too long without tearing up.)

Emma is excited.  I have been hearing all summer how she is a big girl and is going to go to school.  At one point, I realized maybe I haven't been too clear and said, "Emma, you know when you go to school, Mommy doesn't stay.  I bring you in, and then I leave, and I pick you up after school is over.  Is that okay?"  And she barely thought for a second before telling me, "That's okay, Mommy.  I go to my little school."  (She calls it little because I think she thinks it looks little compared to elementary schools...who knows?)
Yesterday we had orientation with her class.  The kids sat in little chairs in their circle time, and the parents kind of hung in the back.  Emma was quiet, and only spoke when Miss Christine asked her name.  (But I was so proud when she spoke up clearly but softly, "Emma.") She kept looking back at me and smiling from ear to ear, just making sure I was still there, then turning back around to listen to Miss Christine.  At the end, Emma hung back waiting for all the kids to leave, and then gave her teacher a high five and then a hug. I see so much of myself in her shyness, it kills me.
I really do think she will be fine.  I'm so excited for her, she's going to love school so much and learn so much and have so much fun.  And I can't wait for her to tell me her version of her day (well, the 3 hours she's away on Tuesdays and Thursdays...)
I just wish I could be a fly on the wall so I don't miss a minute of her.  

(On a complete other topic, look at how Emma lined up her crayons and markers by color.  I was impressed.)

No comments: