Thursday, March 5, 2009

"read all about it"

(Just a pre-message, this is so irrelevant to anything.)
Tonight Bill went to the Flyers game, and Emma and I were snuggling on our chaise watching Dora before bedtime.  Then my doorbell rang (which should be against the law to ring the doorbell of someone with kids after 7.) Unfortunately, I can see whomever is at my door from the chaise, and they can see me.  So this teenage boy is standing there, and I thought it was my 17 year old cousin Chad at first, so I started to get up, all while Emma is yelling PIZZA and confusing my thoughts and clouding my judgement. (She sadly thinks that when the doorbell rings, it's the pizza man.  This doesn't not speak well of my cooking lately...)  

So I answer the door and the boy first asked me if I'm the owner of the house (insulting, I know my hoodie and ponytail don't scream grown-up, but I would think my obvious pregnant state and the toddler by my feet chanting pizza would add some credibility to my age.)  He was so nervous and gave me this speech how he can get a $500 scholarship for college (maybe it was more, it's all a blur now) if he gets 50 people signed up for the Gloucester County Times (local paper) for only $21.15, I can cancel after 13 weeks, blah blah.  I really debated as he rambled, I do like getting coupons, and the crossword puzzles are fun, I can keep up with the local news, he is walking around in the cold, maybe he doesn't have a lot of money, I can cancel, this kid should go to college, so I said yes.  He also added my neighbor signed up, and I thought that was nice of them, I will too.  While I'm filling out a check (to the paper, not to him!) thinking about the good I am doing for his education, the little punk gets on the phone and starts telling a friend excitedly he signed up another person, it was so easy, and he used a few profane exclamations.  I almost told him to watch his mouth, but focused on the goal of filling out the check and saying farewell, and thinking, maybe I should have said no.  

So now I am the slightly-proud subscriber to a newspaper for at least the next 3 months, (I'm not sure if Bill will be so impressed when I tell him), even if I did miss if the little train won the race on Dora, (Emma didn't fill me in, maybe there will be a re-cap in the local paper.)

2 comments:

danielle said...

Too funny.. I'll ask Cambelle to fill you in if Emma doesn't. I'm sure we've see that episode a million of times... Congrats on the paper, I wish you both good luck and hey, the weather is always listed in the paper and just that alone is worth the money...hehehe

Laurie said...

SOOOOOOO funny!