Friday, December 11, 2009

sick (?)

Emma has "Fifth's Disease", which is an awful name, and NOT a disease. It's also called "slapped cheeks disease", and looking at Emma's face, that is accurate. On Tuesday, I noticed her face looked flushed, and wasn't sure if it was wind burn, or chapped cheeks, or just her sensitive skin reacting to something. The next day, when it wasn't looking better, even after lathering her down with lotion, I called the pediatrician, who said even if it is fifth's disease, it's viral, and you can't do anything for her, and treat it like a cold. But on Thursday, when I saw it had spread down her back and on her arms, I took her in. The pediatrician reconfirmed it was fifth's disease.
The red cheeks appear about a week after a child has a fever and cold, and last week, she had a slight temperature and a mild cold. She's not really contagious anymore, and feels fine, other than a little crankiness (but sometimes that's hard to distinguish from her 2 year-old like ways...) And generally just children get it, adults are usually immune (I'm sure I am from teaching booger-y kindergarteners) so we just have to be concerned with Maddie getting it. Just can't wait until she looks normal again!

No comments: