Sunday, June 8, 2008

birthday party

This Saturday we had a party for Emma's first birthday at a local park. It was a good idea when we thought of it-there was pavillion to eat at, grills, picnic tables, and a playground for the kids to play on-but we didn't think it would be so hot this early in June. I prayed for no rain, but didn't think to pray for the heat. It was seriously one of the hottest days of my life that I had to be outside. The car thermometer read 107 degrees when we left the party. I had Emma in her party dress, but after being outside for 10 minutes, I had to change her into something cooler (thank you Mom for running home to get me her white shoes!) which coincidently is the same outfit she wore home from the hospital last year, just obviously a larger size (we got it as a gift when she was born, and I was happy she fit into it this summer). Emma wasn't herself at the party, and I have to blame the heat. I felt so bad for her that she had to be outside (and everyone else too). But the party went well, the food was so good, and I have to thank my father-in-law for standing over the grill cooking hamburgers and hotdogs for everybody! The best part was when Emma got to eat her cake. She was a little unsure when we were singing to her, but knew exactly what to do with the cake. I think she would have eaten the whole thing if I had let her. She was covered in icing by the time she was done, and since it was SO hot, I didn't even bother dressing her and left her in her bloomers and sandals, so classy. She was a lot happier after being stripped and stuffed with cake, and ended the party with some giggles while playing with the ice bucket. I didn't get as many pictures as I would like, enjoying the party with Emma was more important. Thank you everybody for sweating it out for Emma's party, we really appreciate it!

the birthday girl, a little unhappy


enjoying her lunch


the cake


Emma's cake (the heat made the icing slide off)
(ok, I made it, and I know a birthday cake does not need to be nutritious (Laurie and Bill), but I made it according to Deceptively Delicious, and all I added was pumpkin puree and yogurt, and Bill even tasted it and loved it, and so she got a little nutrition with her sugar.)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: